21/01/2021 0 Comments
How to Keep Your Dishwasher Clean and Running Smoothly
You might use your dishwasher on a regular basis to clean kitchenware, but when was the last time you cleaned the appliance itself? Detergent and food debris can accumulate in your dishwasher over time, even if you use it on a regular basis.
To prevent this buildup from reducing the efficiency and lifespan of your appliance, it’s important to clean your dishwasher once every few months. This will also help ensure that your dishes come out sparkling every time. Here are the steps to follow:
- Run it without dishes. Before you start a full cleaning cycle, pour a cup of white vinegar into a bowl and place it on the bottom rack of the dishwasher. The vinegar will help loosen food debris and soap scum.
- Remove the racks. Wash these components with soap and warm water. Before you reinsert them in the dishwasher, check for cracks and other signs of wear. Replace any pieces that look damaged.
- Scrub the inside. Use a sponge to wash the interior of the dishwasher with soapy water. Don’t forget to clean the detergent dispenser; a lot of residue can accumulate in that nook over time.
- Inspect the spray arms. It’s common for mineral deposits to form around the holes on the spray arms, which can block water flow. If you notice this white residue around the holes, use a toothpick to scrape it off. Additionally, every time you use the dishwasher, you must check to make sure the spray arms can rotate freely and aren’t blocked by dishes.
- Wash the sides of the door. The interior edges where the door lines up with the walls of the dishwasher can also accumulate a lot of residue. Don’t forget to wipe down these edges using soapy water and a sponge. Check to make sure the gasket around the door is still in good condition.
- Clean the drain. Located at the bottom of the dishwasher, the drain will eventually get blocked by food scraps, mineral deposits and other residues. It’s best to remove any visible debris after every cycle and clean the drain thoroughly when you wash the rest of the appliance. If the drain is clogged, you may need to hire a professional to clear it.
Appliance Installation in the GTA
The first step to ensuring that your dishwasher runs smoothly is to have it properly installed by an experienced professional. At Black Forest Plumbing, we offer affordable appliance installation services. For more information or to book an appointment, contact us today.
Leave a comment