30/07/2021 0 Comments
8 Common Causes of Clogged Drains
Backups, flooding, gurgling sounds, foul smells, slow drainage and low pressure are all signs of a clogged drain. Clogged drains are one of the most common plumbing issues. They can be a big nuisance for homeowners and property managers. Although they can sometimes be resolved using basic tools like a plunger, it’s always best to try to avoid them from happening in the first place. Here are eight common causes of clogged drains and how you can prevent them.
1. Hair can knot up and attach itself to other objects, forming a larger clog. This is especially common in bathtubs, showers and sinks. You can prevent hair from doing down the drain by using a drain guard and cleaning it regularly.
2. Soap scum can accumulate in drains and narrow the diameter of your pipes. This results in backups and slow drainage. Try using soap-free washes instead.
3. Mineral build-up from hard water can cause deposits that result in blockages. If the water is hard where you live, install a water softener to prevent mineral build-up from occurring.
4. Cat litter is designed to absorb moisture and create clumps. The clay-based material hardens like concrete when wet, increasing the likelihood of a clog. Never flush cat litter down the toilet, throw it in the trash instead.
5. Toilet paper in excess can cause clogs — especially if it’s quilted. Don’t use more than you need.
6. Baby wipes will more than likely cause clogs that need to be removed by a professional. Never flush wipes down the toilet, even if the packaging says you can.
7. Food waste and cooking oil can also clog your pipes. This problem usually affects kitchen sinks. Using a compost bin for food waste can help prevent these clogs.
8. Tree roots can work their way into pipes through tiny cracks. As they grow, they obstruct water flow and can cause significant damage. Avoid planting trees in areas that could interfere with your plumbing. Review the state of your drains regularly using video inspection and replace old pipes as needed.
Professional drain cleaning in the GTA
Cleaning your pipes regularly can help prevent future clogs and improve the lifespan of your pipes. Black Forest Plumbing offers residential plumbing in the Greater Toronto Area. We’re licensed and insured drain cleaning experts. If you’re having trouble keeping your drains clean, contact us today to book an appointment.