27/10/2020 0 Comments
9 Ways to Save Money on Your Water Bill
Did you know that the average Canadian uses 329 litres of water every year? Not only does this negatively impact the environment, but for many households, this translates to high water bills.
Here are nine ways to lower your water bill and protect the planet at the same time.
1. Take showers instead of baths. Filling the bathtub can use up to 200 litres. In contrast, a five-minute shower can use as little as 50 litres. Consider reserving baths for a relaxing treat and shower regularly instead.
2. Turn off the tap. Letting the water flow while you brush your teeth, shave or lather up your hands is wasteful. Instead, turn off the tap until you need to rinse.
3. Install devices that reduce water flow. Low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators mix air with the water flowing. This maintains the water pressure you’re used to, but reduces your water consumption by up to 50%.
4. Switch to low-flow toilets. Modern low-flow or dual-flush toilets use a fraction of the water older models do. If replacing your toilet isn’t in your budget, consider installing a tank bag or an adjustable flapper, both of which reduce how much water is required to fill the tank.
5. Load your appliances wisely. Dishwashers and washing machines are more efficient and use much less water than washing by hand. To maximize efficiency, only run your machine when it’s full.
6. Choose Energy Star appliances. When you need to upgrade your water using appliances, choose replacements that are Energy Star certified. These will use up to 50% less water than older models.
7. Plant a water-wise garden. To avoid watering your garden too often, plant indigenous flowers and shrubs and reduce the size of your lawn. You can also spread mulch around the base of trees and plants to reduce water evaporation.
8. Collect rainwater. Place a bucket, barrel or tank under your eavestrough to collect rainwater. While not potable, it’s perfect for watering your garden, washing your car or even flushing your toilets.
9. Repair leaks. Running toilets and dripping faucets may not seem like a big deal, but in fact can waste many litres of water everyday. Have them fixed as soon as you spot them.
We can help keep your water bill down
If your water bill has recently skyrocketed, you may have an unseen leak. The experienced plumbers at Black Forest Plumbing can help you pinpoint the problem and fix it. We can also help keep your pipes and drains in top shape. Contact us today to schedule a visit.