16/02/2022 0 Comments
Does My Boiler Need to Be Repaired or Replaced?
If your boiler is old or not working, you’ll have to decide whether to repair or replace it. This decision can feel overwhelming if you don’t know much about boilers or home heating. However, you can perform a few simple checks to determine which option is worth your while.
Signs your boiler has a problem
Here are a few telltale signs that something isn't right with your boiler.
• The water doesn’t heat as quickly as usual or get as hot as it used to
• The boiler makes banging, gurgling or whistling noises
• There’s water leaking from the boiler
• The unit’s pilot light keeps going out
• Your faucets have poor water pressure
If you notice any of these signs, it may be time to call a professional.
Here are a few things to check when deciding if you should repair your boiler.
• Check the warranty. Many boilers come with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty that covers the total cost of new parts and labour.
• Check the thermostat. You may be able to fix your boiler by resetting or adjusting the thermostat.
• Check the condensate pipe. Sometimes, a frozen condensate pipe can cause your boiler to malfunction. You can remedy the situation by thawing it with warm water or a blow dryer.
• Check the pressure gauge. Your boiler won't work if the pressure drops below a certain threshold. Consequently, you can try repressurizing the unit to get it back up and running.
• Bleed the radiators. You may have air in your heating pipes, which can cause your boiler to lose efficiency. Bleeding the radiators may get your boiler back on track.
If these tips don’t work, call a professional to get to the root of the problem.
Replacing your boiler
All boilers have a limited lifespan. Consequently, if you’ve had your unit for several years, repairing it or tracking down a replacement part may not be a worthwhile investment.
Keep in mind that investing in a new boiler can save you money in the long run. Modern boilers are extremely energy efficient, which could lower your utility bills.
Lastly, it’s a good idea to schedule routine maintenance on your HVAC units to prevent major problems or repairs.
Boiler repair and maintenance in the GTA
At Black Forest Plumbing, our expert technicians can quickly repair your boiler, even if it breaks down in the middle of the night. We also provide boiler inspections and routine maintenance to keep your unit running at maximum efficiency for years to come. For more information about our home heating solutions, contact us today.
Leave a comment