17/03/2021 0 Comments
Why You Should Get the Plumbing Inspected Before Buying a House
There are a lot of things to think about when buying a new home. One thing that many people don’t consider is plumbing. Here’s why getting it inspected is an important step that shouldn’t be overlooked.
Home inspections are often superficial
A home inspection is used to evaluate the condition of a home before it’s purchased. An inspector does an objective visual assessment of the building’s physical structure and systems in order to assess the home’s physical condition. Generally, a home inspector does three things to check the plumbing: verify that toilets flush, drains empty and water runs from the taps.
Unfortunately, this brief overview of a home’s plumbing system can miss many issues that may be difficult and costly to repair
What’s included in a plumbing inspection
The best way to ensure that the plumbing system in your new home is in good repair is to hire a plumber. Here’s what they’ll look at:
- Fixtures. Much like a home inspector, the plumber will check that every faucet, toilet and sink has adequate water pressure and drains properly. Unlike an inspector, the plumber will be able to tell how bad the issue is and whether it’s easy to fix.
- Supply lines and valves. The plumber will check that the water meter and supply lines are in good shape and that all valves are working. They’ll also perform tests to make sure that there are no hidden leaks anywhere on the property.
- Water-related appliances. Any appliance that uses water, such as a washing machine, dishwasher or refrigerator, will be checked to make sure there are no leaks. If the home doesn’t come with these appliances, the hook-ups and drains will be examined.
- Water heater. Your plumber will verify that the water heater is in good repair and is big enough to serve your family’s needs.
- Drains and sewer pipes. Clogs and leaks deep in the drains or sewer lines are difficult to repair. A camera will be snaked through all underground pipes and plumbing to make sure that there are no current or potential problems.
After the plumbing inspection is complete, you’ll be given a report detailing the plumber’s findings. If repairs are necessary, they’ll be able to provide an estimate. You can use this report and estimate to make decisions regarding your future home.
Trusted plumbers in the GTA
If you’re planning to purchase a new home and want to make sure the plumbing’s in good condition, Black Forest Plumbing can help. Contact us today to schedule a visit or learn more about our plumbing inspections.
Leave a comment